Thursday 7 April 2011

Using Disposable Cameras

Looking into the Disposable Memory Project, thinking about how digital photography is essentially changing the family album and wanting to incorporate a kindred affiliation to my images, lead to me disposable cameras. Now disposable cameras are cheaper, but not cheap. Developing the images costs £7 a roll, which relates as to why people were so vigilant when taking pictures ‘back in the day’. Furthermore what’s even more annoying is that it seems like you always end up with some photographs which either didn’t come through or are terrible. Ah... the nonchalant ways of digital are all the more appreciated now. However, unlike my Polaroid experimentation, I quite like the results I’m getting off using disposable cameras. The photographic quality is mediocre, however with intention. Some of the photographs even having scratches and markings on them, which I like. I handed the results of some of my images over to Trish, who can be seen in many of the photographs and she couldn’t get over how old the pictures looked, so much so she was asking me how old the film I was using was. The film I have used so far hasn’t reached its expiry date yet, the results are based on using cheap disposable cameras, with all the settings thrown on automatic (as they come); uncomplicated -  just like the ‘good ol’ days’, as I’m sure many pensioners would love to argue.
Below I have posted some of the images I have taken using disposable cameras so far. One must remember when looking at these pictures, they do not require any skill what so ever to take - granted. Infact you'd probably expect a lot more from a Photography student, however I'd like to defend myself on this manner by pointing out that it is the concept here that is important and what the images are able to evoke. Furthermore elaborate lighting and expensive SLRs (even if analogue) are not going to capture my subject in the intended manner.



The image above is one of the first I have taken using the disposable camera. The photo looks like it was taken in 1975, I wouldnt give full credit to the picture quality though, the long hair and beard are kind of encouraging the thought. The picture is all right I suppose, it's a much better start particularly concerning photographic properties, however not exactly what I'm looking for in regards to content.





The reason why I took the above image is because I am trying to use the disposable camera in a way which wouldn't have been used ten years ago. I am trying to use my digital unfluence in taking these images. In previous posts I have pointed out how with digital photography we are taking pictures of everything, because we can. Above is a photograph of my brother's boot and its a large boot because my brothers shoe size is 15. Growing up I always found his feet digusting for one because he played  a lot of football so they always looked disfigured with either blue/purple or missing toe nails and they're huge. This brings bag horrible memories of when he used to find it funny to put his feet in my face.




Above his beloved, Trish. Trish is inevitably going to be in many of the photos taken of my brother because the pair are joint at the hip.








I quite like the image above, the smoke has been cought through half of the image and my brother seems casual and oblivious to me taking his photograph.






The reason why I like the above photograph is because of how it was taken, with obviously no care what so ever. The head has been chopped off because unless I look through the tiny view finder I can't really see what I'm taking and I like just pointing the camera, shooting and seeing the results later. This kind of approach obviously leads to a lot of failure, however in some instances such as the one above I like the results. The pictures has an odd misty look to it, I can personally tell its my brother, for one because I took the photo but also because I recognise his clothing and posture.






The above photograph is displaying a playful moment between my brother and his girlfriend. Again, the heads have been cropped off when taking the photograph, but it doesn't matter, the action taking place is whats interesting here. My brother said something in jest to deliberatly offend Trish, which resulted in her attempting to kick him and him grabbing her leg, leaving her balancing on just the one.













I really like the above photograph, its one of my favourite. There is an element of effection in the fact that he's gone to hug her and a rawness and sense of realism because of the snapshot quality of the image.



My brother always wears track pants in the house. It's very chav.










I like the above image because of its clarity, the closeness of the subject and the legitimacey in his expression. This kind of image I think relates well to the idea of the photographer knowing the subject, therefore allowing the subject to be himself and not change because of a camera or stranger.






This picture is perhaps interesting in its unorthodox composition. What is unfortunate is that I tried to craptue how red his eyes were at the time, however the flash was too bright.




The above image didn't turn out well at all. I took it while laying down on the couch covered in a quilt, he was at the other end sat down, drinking a can of strongbow while watching tv one evening. I tend to keep the camera in the living room so I can just grab it whenever I feel like and take a picture without even saying anything. I thought he looked like utter trash here which amused me, so I tried to capture the moment, however the picture is way too dark and even if it wasn't it wouldn't be a good picture.




The reason why I like the photograph above is because of how the lighting turned out. The edges are dark, putting light on the subject adn slightly illuminating the wall behind him, giving it a real snapshot quality.


No comments:

Post a Comment