Thursday 7 April 2011

Some More Snaps

I am finding using disposable cameras fun, I am much more at ease with using them than I was with the Polaroid camera, which is allowing my project to evolve more as I hoped it would. I hope for the photographs to be interesting in regards to the close relationship between photographer and the photographed. I want the viewer to also feel a sense of nostalgia in rememberance of our past photographic method and results it produced. The complication I find myself encountering however is whether certain images attract me more because I know the subjects so well. Moreover this further elaborates one of the elements of the project on one hand, all the same I still find myself debating whether or not an outsider would be able to relate and engage with the images I am taking.









The banality of what I am capturing is what arouses the conflict in my mind. The above photograph is of my brother drinking juice from the carton. I like the simplicity of the image and the way his eyes have wondered to the camera when he noticed I was taking the pictures. It is common for us to just bring the carton of juice through to the living room and pass it round rather than dirtying any glasses, which is quite comical. However is it my knowledge of what happens when the camera isn't at play which evokes a particular engagement between myself and certain images? Furthermore an engagement others may not experience due to their lack of knowledge?


I really like the photograph above. Douglas is fully aware of the image being taken and is looking at the camera and giving a slight smile, he seems comfertable although aware. Trish has her eyes closed and is leaning back on him, I feel as though this photograph expresses the corrolation between us. 









One my favourite pictures of my brother above, it has a true snapshot quality to it and authenticity.




For some incomprehensible reason, Douglas thinks its ok to pee with the door open. 










Above; Chris and my brother have been friends since they were kids, they even moved to Devon together around four years ago. A lot of people think they're brothers, perhaps it's cause they've spent so much time together and that they that tend to keep their facial hair and hair similar. Chris came over to the house one evening and I was adamanet to get a picture of them together. As you can see from the expressions on their faces, they weren't as enthusiastic which is what makes me like this picture. They are unwillingly made to stand against the wall, whining at me to hurry up even though it took no more than a minute to take.  They merely had to stand where they were told and have their picture taken. Their lack of patience and the fact that they were fed up is blatant which makes the photograph interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment