Sunday 17 April 2011

Concepts On How the Work Will be Viewed

Seeing as my work is coming together now, I have been thinking about how I will be displaying my final images. At the start of the project I had contemplated the idea of producing a book, however now I feel as though with the way the project has developed a book would not work well in the way I want the images to be read. Primarily, I’ll start by making concise points as to what one is meant to extract from the images and project as a whole, points which have previously been mentioned over different posts throughout the development.
-         A notable sibling relationship between the photographed and the photographer.
-         An account on how family images are changing with the introduction of digital photography.
-         The fact that the family album is disappearing due to the massive success of social networking websites.
-         In connection to the last point; recognition of the fact that images are being taken using a somewhat ‘dated’ medium.
-         A sentimental appreciation of the chosen medium.
The reason why a book would not work is because it would take away from the experience and the affiliations I hope for the viewer to make, a book is too formal, too standard and commercial and families don’t publish their images into books, which is what put me off the idea of publishing the photographs in such a manner. The idea which I then had in mind was to develop the selected images on a large scale, perhaps 12X16 and present them in an exhibition. However again I struggled with the idea for a couple of reasons. For one, I started to think about the blankness and cold environment an exhibit space has the tendency to be in, I resolved the matter however by realising I do not have to conform to the traditional exhibit space, the ‘white cube’. On the other hand, I thought it would be more interesting if the walls were painted a warm colour like yellow and a sofa was placed in the room to give it more of a family/homely feel when in the exhibition space. Next, I started to re-think the photograph sizes. Families did not used to print their images on such grand scale, so why should I do so now? I wondered. Smaller images, as we printed them in the past seemed more appropriate.   To take it a step further, I was thinking it would be interesting if the images weren’t framed in the traditional manner either. Rather than using identical, simple frames for every image, I thought it might be more appropriate to use a variance of different frames as one would have them in their home.
Below I have posted an image I quickly made on Adobe Photoshop, just to be able to better visualise the concept. The idea that the exhibition space looks like a living room filled with pictures on the wall, which the viewer then walks round and views. The arm chair is there to add to the experience more than anything.  


No comments:

Post a Comment